These delicious rainbow cupcakes will make your day more colorful and your taste buds very happy!
Check out the recipe video here:
Cupcakes + Rainbows = Happiness. It just makes sense.
Posted by Food Network on Saturday, August 19, 2017
Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
For the frosting:
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with white paper liners.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Stir together the milk, lemon juice and vanilla in a small bowl; set aside (the milk will curdle).
- Beat the butter, 3/4 cup sugar and the lemon zest in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to low.
- Beat in the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk mixture in two batches, until combined.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat briefly until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl with a mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup sugar; continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the beaten egg whites into the batter in two batches. Divide the batter evenly among 6 small bowls; tint each with 1 to 3 drops gel food coloring, stirring to distribute the color.
- Divide the purple batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups (about 1 1/2 teaspoons per cup) and gently spread to cover the bottom; layer the blue, green, yellow, orange and red batters on top, gently spreading each color but making sure not to swirl the colors together. (The liners will be full.)
- Bake until the tops of the cupcakes spring back when gently pressed, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Now for the frosting:
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Whisk the sugar, egg whites, water, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt in a large metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until combined (do not let the bowl touch the water).
- With the bowl still over the simmering water, beat the mixture with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan and let cool 5 minutes.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Generously pipe onto the cupcakes.