Check out these 27 Random Food Facts That Will Blow Your Mind!
1. Mountain Dew is mainly just orange juice.
2. Pringles once had a lawsuit trying to prove that they weren’t really potato chips.
3. When you eat figs, technically, you’re also eating wasps.
Figs are pollinated by female wasps, who lose their wings in the process of pollination. The wasp has no way to get out of the fig and so they die inside, and then the fig’s enzymes breakdown and dissolve the wasp.
4. Scientists can turn peanut butter into diamonds
5. The largest wholesale purchaser of kale, before it became a craze, was Pizza Hut.
6. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kohlrabi all come from the same plant!
7. Cheez-Its contain paprika!
It seems like a small, insignificant detail and yet it blows my mind on a regular basis.
8. The bananas we eat today are clones.
9. Chimichanga literally means “thingamajig” in Spanish.
10. Tomatoes are not native to Italy.
11. Potatoes are actually 80% water and 20% solid.
12. Haribo green gummy bears aren’t lime or green apple flavored, but strawberry!
13. Humans share 60% of our DNA with bananas.
14. Shredded cheese has cellulose, which is a wood product (aka sawdust) so that it doesn’t stick together.
15. Pineapple juice can help tenderize meat (thank you, Food Wars!).
16. Strawberries aren’t berries, but bananas are!
17. There are two types of hot dog buns: regular and New England style.
Real shocker for people from New England.
18. Mangoes can get sunburned.
19. Eating lollipops is just swallowing flavored saliva.
20. Apples have small traces of cyanide in their seeds!!!
21. I recently found out that Fritos only have three ingredients: corn, corn oil, and salt?!
22. Almonds are a member of the peach family!
23. Baby carrots are just regular carrots that have been shaved down to the bite-size pieces we see bagged in stores.
24. Ice cream sometimes contains a form of seaweed in it (as a thickening agent) called red algae.
25. Altitude can change taste.
Tomato juice on an airplane = super sweet!
26. An ear of corn used to be way smaller than it currently is.
Like, it could fit in the palm of your hand.
27. Hawaiian pizza was invented in…CANADA.
The Hawaiian pizza, which has sent the world into a craze about pineapples going on pizza, was invented in the little town, the town that literally nothing ever happens in — Chatham, Ontario.